Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Stumpy the Squirrel

Oh, it has been so long since I have posted anything ~ I am so sorry! In my defense, I have been sick, so it is a relief to be feeling better and back to some of the normal things in my life! I do thank those of you who check the blog for hanging in there and I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday a month or so ago! More posts coming!

So, to start the New Year (a little late!) off right, I thought I would post about my friend and neighbor, Stumpy the squirrel ~ every time I see him, he makes me smile ~ AND I just saw him a day ago, so he seems to be surviving the winter months in good fashion. These photos were taken at several different points in late summer ~ I started noticing Stumpy this past spring, so he has been around for awhile.

Depending on how observant you are, you may or may not have noticed that Stumpy is a rather unique squirrel . . . the only reason he stands out in the crowd of squirrels in the neighborhood is because he only has a stump of a tail! I guess that is why he holds a special place in my heart since I wonder how this hardship has effected his life and how he became the way he is.

I admire his chutzpah as he strolls down the street not letting anyone make him feel inferior or out of place ~ his stub of a tail doesn't keep him from taking care of business! I think he would make a nice companion for Miss Suzy ~ I don't think she would mind that he only has a 2 inch tail and looks sort of like an odd short eared and slinky rabbit when he bounds across the yard. Lately I have seen Stumpy in the backyard scampering across the telephone lines and tantalizing my two scotties ~ I hope Stumpy's ego isn't getting too big and he doesn't take too many risks. From what I can tell, he has prepared well for the winter months and I hope he has a long and happy life.

Wishing the same to all of you ~ in addition to a Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Steve Haskamp said...

He's such a cute little thing! I do wonder how his stumpy tail has affected his life. I do think one way a squirrel uses it's tail is for balance. Go Stumpy!