Friday, November 16, 2012

Dutch Treat



  {William Penn, a Quaker, was the founder of Pennsylvania}

It has been awhile since I did a post on an antique show, but I have two excuses: One, I have been really busy working on items for the craft shows I am participating in this season. Two, I have been trying to stay away from the temptation since I have too much stuff!  Even so, there are a few shows, I just cannot bear to miss ~ the Platte City Antique Show is one of them.

{Clever graphic breakup of 'Hat Manufacturers' for balance}

The October show was just as good as ever and I tried very hard to stick to my budget and do more looking than buying. I didn't realize it until I reviewed my photos, but unconsciously I ended up with images of quite a few items from my home state of Pennsylvania. Since the show is in Missouri, these items had to travel quite a distance to make it out here.

As you can see on the shaving soap dish above, some items were a bit road weary, but still interesting to look at. Loved this child's play fire house made from printed masonite and wood ~ it reminded me of the house I played with as a child ~ it was my mom's, so it was most likely from the 30's or 40's.

 
{Pennsylvania is known as the keystone state}

The Bachman's pretzel tin, while pretty beat up, was a big surprise since Reading is where I grew up and I rarely see things in Missouri from my home town. I still can't figure out why the pretzel image is upside down ~ or it appears that way to me! There is probably some superstition that guided that choice ~ sort of like hanging a horseshoe a certain way for good luck. As Bachman's is still in business today, I did notice that the pretzel used in their logo has been turned right side up.

No comments: