Saturday, April 14, 2012

Inspiration ~ Louise Bourgeois

EUGÉNIE GRANDET 2009

I happened upon this grouping of art by Louise Bourgeois and just had to share it with you ~ isn't it beautiful? As the artist is primarily known as a sculptor, I had no idea that she did this sort of work as well. One of her best known works is a sculpture entitled Maman (Mother in French), shown below ~ this work coined her the nickname Spiderwoman.

I only became aware of her as an artist when she died a few years ago at age 98 and a friend had mentioned it to me. Reading her bio here, it appears as if she had a full and interesting life and career ~ she was still creating art until weeks before her death. I am especially drawn to her "Fabric Drawings" that she did in later life ~ she interpreted fabric as a way to remember the past. The article describing her show also mentioned that her work was that which supported the hoarder ~ again, something I can relate to and made me feel better about all the stuff I have collected over the years!

DAWN 2006 ~ Fabric Book
{click on images for sources}

I wish I had gotten to see the exhibit where most of these images came from ~ it must have been fabulous! I thought this quote from Louise Bourgeois helps explain her fabric drawings work in better words than I can.
“I always had the fear of being separated and abandoned. The sewing is my attempt to keep things together and make things whole.”

No comments: