Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Obsession #6 ~ Notions

Yet one more thing I can never have enough of are notions! I always keep my eyes open for beads, buttons, miscellaneous bits and baubles ~ anything I deem interesting enough to use in my artwork or just plain pretty to look at. This all began when I was a child ~ I started with an empty Whitman's (I think) candy tin that I filled with seed beads I bought at Woolworths ~ at the time, about the only place you could buy beads. I made dozens of elastic cord chokers ~ I think I actually selected colors that coordinated with my extensive schoolgirl wardrobe! Needless to say, I have more than one tin filled with beads, buttons, bits & baubles! {that is kind of an understatement ~ I am a hideous hoarder!}

{carved mother of pearl buttons, french linen underwear monograms}

{more carved mother of pearl buttons}

{type drawer filled with trinkets}

{colorful assortment of vintage plastic buttons}

{variety of handwrapped beads I make to use in jewelry}

9 comments:

  1. Hi Julie:)

    Beautiful blog:) I did a post on my blog to introduce you!!!

    Blessings,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw that post of 'raised in cotton' (yes I lurk over there...sometimes) and your friend asked if we could pay you a visit, so here I am... enjoying myself very much as I'm a button addict too. Going to look further in you blog, nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That type drawer is fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. J~
    glad we found you! always fun to bookmark fun places to visit.
    Best,
    Kara & Darcy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julie,
    Love your blog. Just found you through Carol's blog.
    I really loved that scrapbook you found. Beautiful.
    Visit me sometime,
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Julie
    I just stopped by via Carol's Raised in Cotton. Love what I see here!

    I'm in Missouri, near St Louis.

    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog, and it's just lovely!
    k-

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found you through pinterest and I like you am a hoarder. Love your blog and your type set drawer I could mooche around in that alone forever:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Chrissie, Thanks for the kind compliments and visiting my blog - I hope you return! I have been pokey with my postings lately, but hope to post more often soon!
    By the way, I just don't like the connotation of the word hoarder - after all, we don't collect dirty food containers (yet!). I've decided we need a better word - how about h'ors deur or hoardeur - a stock piler of good stuff! Ha ha - I AM going to do a post about that at some point soon! We can start a new trend!
    Thanks for commenting - hope you visit again!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete