Friday, October 12, 2012

Where Do Trends Come From?

 {image from here}

As I am sure you may be a bit tired of anatomical postings, for something completely different, how about a post on garden gnomes?  Not that I am a big fan, but while doing some research on Pinterest this week I came upon this funny photo from 1902 ~ a group of girls dressed as gnomes. Unfortunately, the link leads nowhere, so there is no additional information ~ you will just have to make up your own story.

This got me thinking though ~ reminded me of one of my favorite movies ~ Amelie.  While I had been aware of garden gnomes, it wasn't until I saw this movie that I learned a bit more about them and their popularity. Here is a great post about the beauty of the movie; this post covers the deeper meanings of the film in addition to providing some thoughts on the part the garden gnome played in the movie.

{image from here}

 {image from here}

Although I am not sure when Travelocity began using the garden gnome as a spokesperson for their business (it certainly makes sense!), it seems that the company had to have been influenced by the movie Amelie. So, based on the antique photo above, garden gnomes must have been trendy in the 1900's.  Then, almost 100 years later (Amelie was filmed in 2001) garden gnomes have resurfaced and made it to the mainstream in the form of advertisements for Travelocity and as a quirky icon on greeting cards and wrapping paper. Not a very scientific study, but it goes to prove, what goes around, comes around!

{image from here}

{Paper Source wrapping paper from here}

No comments: