Friday, March 16, 2012

National Button Week ~ Day 6

{bullion stitch crocheted black button}

Thought I would have to show a few more crocheted buttons as they are so unusual and hard to find at antique shows and flea markets. If I am lucky I will find a card or partial card, but most of the time just a small group of unmatched buttons. While some of those shown below are what I would call wrapped buttons, most are crocheted and a few crocheted with beads.


During the course of the week I have learned something new about these crocheted buttons thanks to Nina Edwards ~ author of On the Button. Did you know that these buttons (called waggling knobs) were used by French prostitutes to attract attention? Read more about them and other button related posts at Nina's blog Buttons and Offal. I am going to have to add her book to my "to read" list as I'm sure it contains lots more information I'd be interested in learning.

One other thing I have noticed while collecting the crocheted buttons ~ I have only ever found cream/white or black, but none in any colors. I wonder if there is a reason for that? I find it rather funny that these were used by prostitutes for attention, as they seem so tame compared to what you might expect a modern day streetwalker to wear! I suspect that the black buttons were used for mourning attire for all types of women, but that is just a guess.


No comments: