Saturday, February 20, 2010

Medal worthy posters

Although I would never be mistaken as a sports fanatic, I do find myself watching and enjoying the Olympics ~ both summer and winter. With winter sports on my mind and another winter storm on the horizon, it seemed like a good time to share some vintage posters with that theme.

I love posters like the ones shown for their elegant yet simple design ~ I suppose they rather romanticize the sport and capture the feeling you have while watching someone ski, skate or sled. I was surprised to see that the posters for the 2010 Olympic Games have a similar elegance to the posters I have shown that are from early in the 1900's. Here are some more examples.

{barrel jumping ~ why isn't it an olympic event?!}

{looks like speed skaters used to be a bit older ~ or is his mustache just frozen?}

{such style!}



{posters from 2010 Vancouver Olympics}

I learned about poster art and developed a love for it while I was at art school ~ I was fortunate to be able to take two semesters of poster design taught by Chris Van Allsburg ~ you can see how it has influenced his work and mine.

Click on the images for sources ~ most of these posters are available as prints.
Enjoy the Olympics and the weekend!

4 comments:

M.Lane said...

What a fabulous post! I love vintage ski and travel art and I have an old Sun Valley print in my den right now!

Thanks!

ML
mlanesepic.blogspot.com

Julie said...

Hi ML,
Thanks for your comment - it is great to find others out there who are inspired by things I am passionate about! I have some books on the posters from Kew Gardens that are lovely as well - I'll have to post about them in the spring.

Mitzi Curi said...

Those posters are so fabulous! They just don't make them like that anymore.....thanks for posting such a large and exceptional collection of them!

secretleaves said...

These are so super-cool! Thanks for sharing.

Sharon