Thursday, August 27, 2009

Clever Inspiration ~ Now & Then

While visiting one of my favorite blogs today (Cafe Cartolina), I was drawn to Fiona's posting about Alexis Rom's Get Up Printing Set ~ it is such a clever idea ~ mix & match people and hairstyles for endless possibilities! Given that I am partial to rubber stamps, I was especially smitten!

The Get Up Printing Kit reminded me of something else I had seen long ago on two other blogs I visit frequently ~ Ullabenulla and Le Divan Fumoir ~ a 17th century Dutch handpainted miniature leather locket. The locket comes with multiple mica discs of handpainted disguises that the owner can change as desired ~ transforming the portrait ~ a very similar concept to the rubber stamp kit above. I find it so interesting that a theme or concept can be just as compelling today as it was hundreds of years ago.



{images from here}

1 comment:

Fiona Cartolina said...

That locket is amazing - and how oddly similar to the rubber stamp set. I just can't believe that the mica pieces have survived after all this time - is it really that old? fantastic!