Sunday, April 12, 2009

Here comes Peter Cottontail...

When I moved to Kansas City back in the late 80's, one of the weirdest things I remember were the life size rabbits that are displayed in the plaza shopping area every year. This has been a tradition since the 1930's ~ the rabbits are plaster of Paris with a coating of fiberglass added in the 60's.

By day these rabbits seem kindly and benevolent, but by night they turn creepy ~ their eyes light up an evil red ~ I think they are supposed to be pink, but the end result is kind of scary. One more reason to visit Kansas City! Happy Easter!


{image from here}

{image from here}

{image from here}

{image from here}

{image from here}

{image from here}

4 comments:

Beth Leintz said...

I've thought the same thing about the rabbits at night-they are a little distirubing- kind of like zombie rabbits.

Nonna Illustration & Design said...

Julie,

I have been driving by these this past week after work around 5:00 thinking how cute, but now I know not to cross there path in the evening when they turn to evil red eyed bunnies! I am happy to have learned a bit about the. I had no idea they have been around that long. That is neat. I love Kansas City.

Shawna

Jackie said...

I've always called them the "demon bunnies."

Notions of mine and nonsense said...

Julie,

What beautiful photos you took! It was such a pleasure to spend some time with you at Miss Frenchie's! You have an amazing talent - your fiber pins are so beautiful and the attention to detail is unmatched! Have a sunny weekend!
Sheila S.