Tuesday, September 16, 2008

One That Got Away

I'm sure that any of you that go to flea markets or antique shows and collect things have at one time or another had the experience of passing something by and then realizing you can't stop thinking about it ~ so, back you go to buy it and it is GONE! Worse than that is to actually witness someone else purchasing said piece!! Even more horrific when that person is someone you know, but not well enough to be able to visit the item!!!!

Below is one of those items ~ all I have to remember it by are these two photos. Honestly, it is good that I didn't spend the $150, but that still doesn't wipe the memory from my head. Why, oh why, did I pass it by?! Now I will probably go into the dangerous "buy when you see ~ don't hesitate" mode ~ yikes! ~ my poor bank account!
{lovely old handwritten equation ledger from the early 1800's}

3 comments:

The Artist's Studio said...

Old paper is a favorite of mine, and this looks like a fabulous book! At least you have the photos...

Anonymous said...

The handwriting in that ledger is breath taking.

I, too, am plagued with "hesitation remorse"...I still think about an antique table from 1993 that I saw at a 100 mile yard sale. I saw it loved it, trudged across a field, then decided to turn back and it was gone all within a matter of 5 minutes...

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Ouch!